Writing about writing...

Writing about writing...

Friday, March 14, 2014

How To Haiku

It's Poetry Friday!

So, I have a confession.... Before this semester, I did not know how to write a haiku. Apparently, this is something that a lot of people learn in Middle School,  but I was probably too busy reading Tolkien to be interested in picking it up. 

So when my poetry teacher told us a few weeks ago to write a haiku, I decided I had better do some research. Here are my findings, nicely compiled into a handy-dandy "How To Haiku" guide for beginners. All poems are my own.

1. Firstly, the basic format. A haiku has three lines, the first and last of which contain five syllables, and the middle of which contains seven. For example:

Drums

Summertime surf boom: (5)

The old earth's mournful rhythm, (7)

Beaten by the sea. (5)

If you are in doubt about how many syllables a word has, then you can look it up in a dictionary to find out. Remember, word choice is very important, because you are allowed so few words... Make them count!

2. Secondly, the subject. In class, we worked on "Classic Haikus", which deal with nature. More specifically, they deal with a particular season. For example:

Spring Drive

Intoxicated:

The flower breath as I pass,

Spring's unique perfume. 

The classic form can feel somewhat constricting, but it is a great way to stretch your ability to create within a framework. It is really surprising what depth you can get out of a three line poem.

3. Thirdly, here are some tips and tricks. My teacher told us that titles are one of the best ways to "cheat" and add in a few extra words (think of the poem "In a Station of the Metro" which has a title half as long as the poem!). Also, avoid using too many adjectives. Some adjectives are good, but like salt, should be used sparingly. Instead, use strong verbs and nouns for a poem that packs a more powerful punch. 

Some people overlook haikus because of their size, but they can be really powerful poems. My teacher likened them to Zen gardens: using a few small things to suggest a larger theme. Haikus can really stretch your ability to use exactly the right word to convey meaning, which will help any other poem or prose piece that you may write. 

I enjoyed haikuing, and I hope you will too. Comment below if you have any questions, or haikus to share! 

No comments:

Post a Comment